Summer Day Spotlight: June 16 Downtown Minneapolis
It’s happened. The weather has turned a corner (albeit a 50 degree weekend in late May right now), and we can expect to be flush with great things to do downtown. Coming up fast is one day you Purple Rain fans won’t want to miss.
Prince Night at Target Field
June 16 is the only evening home game for the Minnesota Twins that month, and it just so happens to be a pretty special game. Target Field is hosting Prince Night to celebrate the late Minneapolis icon. Here are some of the highlights:
- First 10,000 fans get a special ”Purple Rain” umbrella
- Those with the umbrellas will be invited to open them for a moment of silence following the seventh inning stretch
- Prince music will be played during and before the game
- Twins players and staff will wear special Prince-themed T-shirts during batting practice
- Prince-themed fireworks will explode after the game
Let’s hope the weather gives us a great day!
Seth Meyers has only become an increasingly bigger deal as he’s risen from stand-up to SNL to late night talk show host. The Emmy Award-winning writer will be at the State theatre at 8 pm that night.
Mystro’s Summer Comedy Jam
This day is just exploding with comedy! This laugh fest is at the Orpheum that night, also at 8 pm. It features DeRay Davis, Lil Duval, and Faizon Love. Tickets start cheaper than the Seth Meyers show, so your comedy alternatives to baseball span the income brackets.
If you’re going to the State Theatre or Orpheum, you can find $6 downtown parking very close to the venues. The Park and Shop ramps nearby start the discount after 4 pm Monday – Saturday and run it all day Sundays.